The Top 5 Backpacking Tents Reviewed
You’ve seen the pictures and you’re now dreaming the dream: sleeping in the great outdoors. It’s an adventure and it’s a big part of any exciting backpacking trip, and when you wake up to the sunrise you can be right there on the beach or on the mountain. However, unless you enjoy being rained on, you need to think about how to pack for your trip. A part of that packing is going to be an ultralight backpacking tent.
When you are traveling around the world, your adventure is going to start with the best backpacking tent there is on the market. It’s all in that moment of unzipping the tent and revealing a landscape that is breathtaking. Throw in a Thermos of hot coffee and the tent protecting you from cool morning winds, and you’ve got the perfect wake-up combination. If you want to take a trip around the world, you will need a lightweight backpacking tent to supplement your adventure.
Having the best backpacking tent is as important as having a great pair of shoes or the right toothbrush. Don’t worry though; you don’t have to be an intrepid explorer to be able to take a tent traveling with you, because in most countries in the world there are some stunning campsites that you can stay in. Having a tent is the best way that you can experience some of the most special places in the world at your own pace.
We go into the differences between models below, but here is a quick chart comparing the models:
The Best Backpacking Tents
A best-selling, full featured, ultralight backpacking shelter, this Copper Spur HV UL tent is designed with a high volume hub to maximize strength and increase your living space, and all without adding extra weight to you while you travel. Ounce counting backpackers need not fret, because this is the tent that changes the game. It may not be the tent for the user with comfort in mind, but the extra space on the inside and the vestibule design makes it one of the most complete, ultralight options on the market for backpackers.
The large zipper door and wall architecture can make trips with a partner comfortable. The newfound open feeling is mainly because of the near vertical walls. The poles do a fantastic job of stretching all 4 walls up and away from you, providing you with a peak height of 40 inches. It’s durable and can stand up to your biggest adventures. It’s waterproof, lightweight and weather proof all at the same time and given its weight, you’d expect it not to withstand heavy weather. Here’s the thing, there’s no compromise here – the pole structure is increasing the strength by 25, which means that while it doesn’t stand up to all weathers, you can hunker down and be protected in most 3 season conditions.
- 4-way high volume hub design increases strength by 25% and the useable interior volume by 20% when compared to previous versions of the Copper Spur
- Fly and floor are silicone treated proprietary patterned random rip-stop nylon with 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating
- Fly and floor feature a unique weave made with a high tenacity yarn and high filament count which increases fabric tear strength by 25%, decreases weight of the material and improves water resistance
- Tent body is Proprietary patterned random rip-stop nylon breathable and polyester mesh
- All seams taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane tape (No PVC or VOC's)
A quintessential, 3 season backpacking tent that is perfect for two. Easy to carry, easy to set up and roomy enough for hanging out as well as sleeping, this tent lives with the perfect balance between lightweight and liveable. Your space is 29 square feet of floor area and has a peak interior height of 39 inches. There are two generous vestibules and you get an additional 8.75 square feet of space on either side of the door. This is a tent that is built from lightweight material and combines quality with livability. It’s a tough little tent and it will last you for years, making its durability score pretty high!
At just 3lb 13oz in weight, backpackers will hardly notice the tent on their bags, which means that if you’re looking to cut weight from your next backpacking adventure, you’ll love the Hubba Hubba. It’s got so many options for great airflow, and there’s nothing worse than sleeping in a hot tent! With mesh panelling, you can get a great view and plenty of space for air to flow right through the tent. You also have enough ventilation without condensation to build up.
- Lightweight livability in a 2-person, 3-season freestanding backpacking and camping tent that packs down small for backcountry adventures
- Pole geometry maximizes space with 29 sq. feet of floor area, interior peak height of 39 inches, plus 17.5 sq. feet of vestibule area
- Complete setup weighs 3.8 lbs. and packs down to 18x6 inches; minimalist setup option uses footprint, poles, and rainfly and weighs 3.1 lbs.
- Tent body has two doors, mesh panels for breathability, and solid panels for warmth and privacy; rollup rainfly for stargazer view
- Includes tent, one unified hub-and-pole system, rainfly, stakes, and guy lines; footprint sold separately; manufacturer's 2-year limited warranty
A one tent wonder and perfect for two, this tent allows for roomy backpacking, cozy camping and everything in between. Nemo has been a huge player in the tent market, and there are plenty of reasons for that. The interior space is large, and there is enough space for two people to sleep comfortably without the sleeping bags slowly creeping up the walls of the tent. Part of what makes this so comfortable is that it’s so light! Backpackers won’t find this tent a burden to carry, and it packs small enough to carry in two hands.
The Nemo Dagger has a sturdy structure, with quality waterproof coating and seam sealing and a tall bathtub floor – this adds up to being great in 3 season weather. This is a tent that can survive the West Coast Trail, which is notorious for rain. For a couple of backpackers, the two door, two vestibule layout makes for a very comfortable place to sleep while you’re on your travels. There’s not going to be any issues crawling over your tent mate to get to the outdoor latrine.
- The one tent wonderenjoy roomy backpacking, cozy camping, and everything in between
- Two doors and two generous vestibules eliminate awkward entries/exits and provide ample gear storage
- Overhead Light Pockets use special light diffusing fabric to cast an even glow throughout the tent. New dual-stage stuff sack fits the tent and poles or adjusts smaller to further compress the tent and split the load
- Min Weight: 3 lbs 5 oz / 1.5 kg. On the Fly Weight: 3 lbs 2.2 oz / 1.4 kg. Trail Weight: 3 lbs, 7 oz / 1.6 kg. Floor Dimensions: 90 x 50 in / 229 x 126 cm. Floor Area: 31 sq ft / 2.9 sq m. Vestibule Area: 23 sq ft / 2.1 sq m. Interior Height: 42 in / 107 cm
- Number of Doors: 2. Frame Description: 1 DAC 8.5 / 9.0 / 9.6 mm featherlite NSL. Packed Size: 19 x 5 in dia / 48 x 12 cm dia. Vestibule Fabric: 15D Sil / PU Nylon Ripstop (1200mm). Fly Fabric: 15D Sil / PU Nylon Ripstop (1200mm). Canopy Fabric: 20D Nylon Ripstop / No see um mesh. Floor Fabric: 30D PU Nylon Ripstop (3000mm)
Designed to be the ultimate tent for everyone to enjoy a backpacking adventure it’s designed with the intent to be lightweight but also tough. Constructed with polyester anti-stretch fabric, with added ripstop for durability, this creates an ultra strong and ultralight exterior for the shell and floor of the tent. It’s not the most ultralight out there on the market, but it is spacious and comfortable for backpackers who need somewhere to bed down for the night. It can suit two, as there are extra vestibules with two door access.
It’s not a tent for all four seasons, but it is well constructed, and at an excellent price you can get a great option for your next adventure.
- PACKS SMALL FOR BACKPACKING - Weight only 4 lb 11 oz for the whole set; packing size: 19.6 x 5.9 x 5.9 in, Packs down small with included carrying sack so you can carry it easily on backpacking trips.
- MATERIAL - Fly:20D rip-stop nylon,silicone coated (4000mm waterproof index),Floor:20D rip-stop,silicone coated(4000mm waterproof index),Poles:7001 aluminum.
- EASY SET UP - Y frame tent with simple structure. One person first using this tent is able to set up the tent quickly. The installation instructions sewn inside of the stuff sack.
- EXTRA VESTIBULES:With 2 doors for easy access and 2 vestibules provides gear storage space;vestibule can be affixed to fully closed or partially open for ventilation and sun shade.
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE - We stand behind our products and provide a 30-day money-back guarantee for any reason and Limited Lifetime Warranty for quality-related issues.
The ultra-lightweight weatherproof tent is made from the best quality, super strong material. It’s perfect for hiking or backpacking, and with great specification, it’s got a waterproof rating of >5000mm and features aluminum poles. This is a tent that is made from the same material used to make parachutes, which means that when you are hiking or backpacking, you’re going to be enjoying a night of rest under a durable, waterproof exterior. This tent has a lantern hook for those long nights, and wide storage pockets for all of your belongings.
Designed to fit two adults comfortably, this is a tent that is popular for hikers as it is ultralight – making it easy to transport. It’s easy to assemble and as long as the weather holds while you do it, it’s going to be up in less than 10 minutes!
- THE ULTIMATE WATERPROOF HIKING & BACKPACKING TENT - This ultralightweight weatherproof tent is made from premium quality super-strong and expensive 20D Silicon-coated Rip-Stop Nylon Taffeta, the same material used to make parachutes(very expensive)
- EXCELLENT SPECIFICATION - Waterproof rating > 5000mm, features 2x strengthened lightweight aluminum poles and 10x premium 8" aluminium stakes to provide strong and secure leverage and fixings. Internally, there is a handy lantern hook and extra-wide storage pockets.
- SUITABLE FOR 1-2 PEOPLE - This top-rated tent will comfortably fit 2 adults, but it is also perfect to be used as a single person tent with the ultra-compact storage size making it exceptionally easy to transport around in backpacks.
- EXTREMELY FAST TO ERECT - If weather conditions are favourable (no rain / strong wind), you can simply install the 2 poles and attach the tent. No need to use the guide ropes, stakes, or rainproof cover, making it possible to put the tent up in just 3-5 minutes.
- FOLDS DOWN INTO AN EXTREMELY SMALL PACKAGE - Designed to take up minimal space when stored (just 17' Length / 5' Diameter), this MaxMiles Backpacking Tent will fit into almost any backpack without using up excessive space, perfect to maximize your storage capabilities.
Things To Consider About Backpacking Tents
When there are two of you staying in a 2 man tent, you need to consider your space: especially if your trip is extended for months rather than days. Choosing the best backpacking tent means considering the following:
● Size when it’s packed. You need to carry this tent with you while you travel, which means that you need it to be lightweight and easy to carry.
● Size when it’s open. If you are aiming for enough space for two people, you need to unpack it before you start travelling. Either it’s going to be too small for two people, too huge for the areas you want to camp or it’s going to be just right. Either way, you need to know if it’s correct for you before you set off.
● Price. Let’s be honest, you want to stick to a budget, and this means including your equipment in that budget. Your tent needs to fit your budget otherwise you’re going to eat into your own cash reserves for your break.
● Weight. You realise that you have to carry this tent, right? Consider this when you make your choice. There’s going to be equipment you have to bring up mountains to trek and up the main hills on your journey, and you need not be overwhelmed. You won’t be able to enjoy your holiday if you’re worrying about being crippled by the tent adding extra weight.
● Pitching Time. Some tents require poles and metal clasps to put them together, while others take just pulling them out of a bag and – boom! – unfolded and ready to go. You need to know how long this will take you to do when you’re travelling, and practice makes perfect!
● Season. There are backpacking tents out there that aren’t suitable for certain weather types. So, you need to consider the season you are travelling in as well as the best type of tent available for you for that season.
● Durability. Are you hiking in harsh weather? If so, you need to make sure that your tent isn’t going to instantly cave in or blow away with the wind and harsh weather. Take the time to shop around properly before you buy it so that you know it’s strong enough to withstand what you need.
Having a tent with you on your travels is going to open you up to a world of possibility. Half the places that you can explore may not have been available to you when you were visiting previously; you may not always know where you’re sleeping, either.
Backpacking Tent Video
Here is a great video explaining how to choose a backpacking tent:
Last Updated on