What Are Duck Calls?
The primary necessity to be a successful duck hunter is to find ducks to shoot. Setting up in a place they frequent is often not enough – sometimes you need find a way to call them in to your location. And for that, you need a duck call.
A duck call is a hollow cylinder, usually made out of plastic or wood, that is blown through to attract nearby ducks.
Duck calls can come in universal forms that allow you to call a wide range of ducks, or specific calls to focus in on a specific tone for a duck call. It doesn’t matter whether you are hunting for Mallard ducks or Northern Pintail – there is a duck call to help you with your hunt.
Single reed duck calls are much easier to use for beginners, but can only produce a limited range of sound. Two or three reed duck calls allow for a wider range of tone and pitch to allow you to attract your duck of choice easier, but may have a bit more of a learning curve to them.
How Do Duck Calls Work?
Your average duck call Is a tube-like object which holds a reed that vibrates to produce the same frequency call as a duck. Duck calls are different than a goose call, as they require a slight buzzing and vibrating noise that comes from a reeded design in order to help attract specific types of ducks.
Compared to some other calls on the market, duck calls do take a bit of time to perfect, and they’re also less durable and other calls due to the fickle design of the internal reed. This means that you want to do your research when investing in a high-quality duck call to make sure that it will last for years to come.
Most duck calls are made to last a fairly long time in intense environments, such as out on the field during your hunting trip, but should be cared for properly to ensure that they perform at their top ability.
What Makes a Good Duck Call?
A good duck call will be easy to use, but also produce an accurate sound every time. While part of the call sound produced by a duck call is up to the hunter, it is important that your duck call produce a consistent reed sound in order to ensure that you can always attract the right kind of duck.
Nothing is more frustrating than trying to operate a faulty duck call only to see your target fly away. Both plastic and wooden duck calls have their advantages and disadvantages. While plastic duck calls are more durable, their sound can often have a bit of an odd quality to it, making them not necessarily ideal when it comes to mimicking a specific duck call.
On the other hand, wooden duck calls are on the fragile side, as they can be damaged by prolonged exposure to moisture as well as may end up having their main cylinder crack under pressure. If you find yourself often hunting a very specific kind of duck, investing in a high-quality wooden duck call may be the best for you.
However, if you are looking for a more general, beginner duck call, plastic duck calls come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and intended ducks call sounds to allow you to practice without a large startup price. Here are some of our top picks for both plastic and wooden duck calls in a wide range of styles, from your standard Mallard call to more specialized call ranges.
Best Duck Calls For The Money
Here are the top 10 items in the duck call category on Amazon:
- Duck Commander.
- 1. HAND MADE with HIGH QUALITY---made in US with premium military grade 60 feet real nylon 550lb paracord to withstand the toughest environments which we have tested in the toughest environments. The survival paracord is easy to clean, durable, mold and mildew resistant, colorful and fade resistant! (Whistles not included)
- 2. HOLDS 11 CALL SECURELY---adjustable loops that securely hold 11 calls in place.Also comes with upgraded REMOVABLE CLIPS, you can remove any unnessary loops according to your needs. Just insert your drop in the duck call groove and slide the knot down to secure your duck calls. Holds all sized calls, popular with Wood Duck Calls, Mallard Calls, Goose Calls, Teal Calls, and many others - won't bang your calls together and protects them from drops into the water and mud.
- 3. COMFORTABLE to WEAR---large size easily fits around any neck, even with big bulky clothes, extremely comfort with wide, beefy neck strap.
- 4. QUALITY WARRANTY---each of our duck call lanyards is handmade with loving care and attention and we wouldn't produce anything that wouldn't be good enough for our own use. We offer lifetime warranty, please feel free to contact us if you have any problems, we will try our best to help you.
- 5. NOTE: GLORYFIRE store is the only authorized store to sell this item on Amazon, please buy from GLORYFIRE store. Or we won't be responsible if you buy from other sellers who sell at a lower price with a poor quality. We are a local US company, we are committed to providing our customers with COST-EFFECTIVE HIGH QUALITY items and offer 3-year quality warranty. GLORYFIRE is a registered brand in USPTO and on Amazon, the serial numbers are 87160734 & 87160733.
- THREE SOUND LEVELS OF WOOD DUCKS - Great for flying or sitting sounds and will make the most realistic wood duck call on the market
- DUCKMEN LOVE THIS CALL saying, "It will have you spitting feathers!"
- EASY TO USE - Single Reed -- Made to be TOUGH and DURABLE
- The Specialty Series calls are the MOST LIFE-LIKE CALLS ON THE MARKET
- Specialty Series calls not only AID IN ATTRACTING "OFF DUCKS," but also act as a CONFIDENCE CALL WHEN LATE SEASON DUCKS GET WARY of regular calling
- Call Material: Polycarbonate
- Reed: Double
- TRIPLE REED that's actually EASY TO BLOW, great for beginners
- PERFECT ALL AROUND CALL - Designed to replicate the Mallard hen in her quack, feed call, and hail call
- UNIQUE TONES: Low gravel tones for mature hens to high scratchy pitch for young hens
- Made to be TOUGH and DURABLE
- Hand Tuned by Pro Staff Tuners in Tennessee
- Hand trimmed double reed construction
- Solid acrylic barrel and insert, Includes Polycarbonate Short Reed
- Canada Goose Call and Pollycarbonate Double Reed Duck Call
- Proudly Made in the USA
- Designed especially for close in calling
- Perfect call for guides and serious duck hunters
- Produces a mellow yet raspy tone
- Ideal for working ducks in timber
- Finish duck in open water
- Paracord Duck Call Lanyard: 12 Adjustable Loops, enough to hold several calls and your whistle
- Hand braided using 60 feet of strength paracord, wide 0.8", comfortable for wearing, easy to clean
- Necklace Length: 90cm(35.4"), large size easily fits around any neck
- Best for Predator/ Hunter's as Goose, Pheasant, Waterfowl, Mallard, Teal or Duck Calls
- You can search PSKOOK to watch related video and instructions, you will find more funny and innovative products from us, like Paracord Bracelet/ Winder/ Jigs/ Needles, Wood drilling fire, Tactical cross necklace, Spork, Gun Sock, etc.
- HIGH RASPY TONE brings them right to you
- MADE FOR ALL EXPERIENCE LEVELS: This is a great call for a beginner or a seasoned caller
- EASY TO BLOW - Single Reed
- Polycarbonate material for durability
- UNCLE SI approved
Here is a great YouTube video demonstrating how to properly use a duck call: