Top 8 Gun Cleaning Mats Reviewed
Every gun owner knows that it’s important to clean their guns and rifles. However, many gun owners don’t realize how often they should clean their pieces. They also don’t usually use a cleaning mat, which results in a mess all over the area.
Your cleaning area is probably a workshop or your garage but having a cleaning mat means that you can clean your gun anywhere in your house.
While you now want a cleaning mat, you have to remember that not all of them are created equally. You want to take a thorough look into characteristics and qualities make the best gun cleaning mat.
Some common complaints that people have about certain mats are that they easily collect dirt, dust, and lint. Other brands had no complaints whatsoever. This review will tell you everything that you need to know to purchase the best gun cleaning mat; it will even have some ranked so you can choose from trusted brands.
If you are in a hurry, our choice for the Best Gun Cleaning Mat is the Sage & Braker Waxed Canvas, Wool and Leather Mat.
Why You Need Your Own Cleaning Mat
Learning how to clean guns and cleaning them properly requires a lot. You have to have willingness, practice, time, and expertise. Until you’ve owned your guns for many years, you’ll find oil stains all over the place.
Most of the people clean their guns in the workshops or storage sheds that are really tidy and super-clean.
The benefits of using a cleaning mat are enough reason to purchase one. There’s no reason for you to make a huge mess when you can have one made of materials that will prevent oil stains and other damage to the surfaces of your home.
The Benefits of Using Gun Cleaning Mats
Gun cleaning mats are typically made with leak-proof, non-absorbent material that prevents oils, like CLPs, from leaking through onto your table. The material also is easily cleanable. You just wipe away the grease and it’s clean again.
The other benefit of getting one is that you choose its size. Normally, you would set your gun on a towel, which might be too small. A cleaning mat ensures that you get one designed for your gun, so you can lay it out along with all of its components.
Having the best gun cleaning mat for your needs is so important. You need to make sure that you know what you’re looking for. Are you looking for a cleaning mat for your pistol? Are you looking for one for your rifle? Do you need both? These are all questions that you need to address before choosing the one that’s right for you.
If you’re looking for a gun mat that’s perfect for any firearm you have, then this is it. It is on the more expensive end, but its quality can’t be beaten.
Sage and Braker’s waxed canvas gun cleaning mat is made from extremely high-quality materials. The interior of it is designed out of waxed canvas, which stops lubricants and oils from staining other materials. The exterior is composed of a thick leather and a heavy wool.
It comes equipped with pouches to hold all of your gun cleaning supplies. You can fit your lubricants, brushes, bore snakes, and more. It’s both a cleaning mat and a case. You can roll it up and close it with its two leather straps that you can buckle it in place.
It’s the ultimate cleaning mat that can work for any gun. It has everything that you need as a gun owner. While it is more expensive, the fact that it does it all makes it worth every penny.
Sage and Braker Cleaning Mat Specs
- Firearm Type: Universal
- Material: Wool and Leather, Waxed Canvas
- Size: 69″ X 16″
- HIGHEST QUALITY MATERIALS: Made from 12 oz. waxed canvas, heavy wool and thick leather. This mat was built with the intention of passing it down through the generations.
- OVERSIZED AND OVERSTUFFED: Once rolled out, our mat measures in at 69" long X 16 " wide and ½" thick. Big enough work on your your largest firearms and thick enough to protect them from any surface
- HOLDS ALL OF YOUR CLEANING PRODUCTS: Built to hold all of your cleaning gear. Four pouches will hold your brushes and picks, your CLP, two bore cleaning kits and a place for your rags. Just roll everything up, buckle it down with the leather straps and throw it in the back of your truck.
- PROTECTS GUN AND WORK SURFACE: Prevents guns from being scratched on harsh work surfaces while also protecting surfaces from cleaners, lubricants and oils.
- CLASSIC LOOKS: Handsome, functional and built to last.
The AR-15 is one of the most popular firearms on the market for a reason – it is an ideal long-range tactical weapon for self-defense. One of the contributing factors is reliability – the AR-15 performs consistently. But to keep your weapon in peak condition you need to clean it regularly. And that is where a great AR-15 cleaning mat comes into play.
The TekMat AR-15 cleaning mat is designed specifically for use with your AR-15. The surface of the mat is made from durable thermoplastic fiber, which guarantees it will hold up over time. And as a bonus it is imprinted with an exploded diagram of the AR-15, which will ensure you never get stuck disassembling or reassembling your firearm.
TekMat AR-15 Specs
- Firearm Type: AR-15
- Material: Thermoplastic fiber Surface, Neoprene Rubber Back
- Size: 12″ X 36″
- PROTECT YOUR GUN AND YOUR WORK AREA - The soft thermoplastic fiber surface ensures your gun doesn't get scratched while the thick 3mm neoprene rubber back will protect your work surface and prevent the mat from sliding
- QUALITY GUN CLEANING MAT - This AR-15 gun cleaning mat by TekMat is made to exacting standards. This begins with the waterproof, scratch proof, fade and oil resistant dye-sublimation printing.
- LARGE, CLEAR DESIGN - This AR-15 gun cleaning mat measures 12" x 36" and is 3mm thick. It gives you plenty of room to disassemble your AR-15 long gun and to clean it without having to move parts all over.
- EASY TO USE - This AR-15 gun cleaning mat comes with an overview of the history of the AR-15 as well as a simple to follow parts diagram that make up your AR-15.
- LIFETIME QUALITY - Designed in Salt Lake City, UT this AR-15 gun cleaning mat will last a lifetime and will always be a great accessory to your AR-15 long gun.
Top 3 Rifle Cleaning Mats
If you only own rifles and want the best mat to clean it with, following are our top three picks for rifle cleaning:
For those looking for the best rifle cleaning mat, there’s nothing that beats the Grizzly. Its reasonable price makes it the only choice you need for your rifles.
The Grizzly is made from the thickest material available. It is 6mm, thicker than any of the competition. The material is high-grade with significant absorption and cushioning power. This not only stops oils from leaking through but prevents the firearm from scratching through the table like it would if you were cleaning it on a thinner material.
The mat has an AR15 diagram designed onto it. It clearly shows all the parts of the gun, allowing you to really learn all of the intricacies of your firearm. It’s big enough to fit an AR15 on it and most other rifles. The bottom of the mat is designed to be non-slip so it stays in place during the cleaning process.
Grizzly Mat Specs
- Firearm Type: Rifle
- Material: Neoprene
- Size: 35.75″ x 12″
- THICK: Exclusive, custom-designed 6mm mat, thicker than any other gun cleaning mat on the market
- PROTECTION: Shield your gun & cleaning surface from scratches, while keeping oil & chemicals at bay
- EDUCATIONAL: Perfect for assembly reference with AR-15 parts printed clearly on enlarged viewing diagram
- GUARANTEE: Fits AR15 & other long guns, rolls & stores easily, has a 100% satisfaction guarantee
- CUSTOMERS SAY: "Finally, a mat with sharp enough print that you can read the diagram."
The Ultimate Rifle Build has a great rifle cleaning mat that would work for anyone looking for something unique.
It’s made from professional grade material. It’s constructed with stitched edges to help hold the mat together for the long run. The top has waterproof material, and the bottom is constructed to be non-slip. The design on the map is a diagram of an AR15 and all of its components. While diagrams are common on rifle cleaning mats, this one has the name right next to the part, so you don’t have to cross-reference a specific number with a specific part. It also comes with a separate magnetic tray to put your small disassembled parts in.
The Ultimate has unique features that allow it to be worth any gun owner’s interest.
Ultimate Rifle Build Specs
- Firearm Type: Rifle
- Material: Rubber
- Size: 12″x36″
- BONUS MAGNETIC TRAY: Includes a Bonus magnetic parts try, to keep all the tiny parts from disappearing
- PROFESSIONAL GRADE: Designed with input from gunsmiths, our gun cleaning mat is built to the quality and precision standards you expect from a professional. Stitched edge provides longevity & parts are labeled clearly in an easy-to-read font
- PREMIUM MATERIALS: Stitched border, black polyester top with waterproofing coating, white heat transfer printing prevents smearing, and non-slip natural tree rubber backing allows for easy roll-up for storage. Perfect pad for a gunsmith or home hobbyist
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN: Exclusive design includes exploded parts diagram with weapon parts labels, along with cartridge & receiver dimensions. Each part is labeled! Other mats have numbers near the part, which you must then cross reference to find the actual part's name
- LARGE PROTECTIVE SURFACE: 12"x36" & 16"x36" models available; gun cleaning pad helps protect your kitchen table, work bench, or shooting table. Big enough for an entire firearm, even when disassembled. Perfect accessory for cleaning or reassembly
The UsefulThingy is designed for you to easily clean your rifle. It’s made from neoprene which soaks up any lubricants or oil that you use to clean. The material is different from others in that it absorbs liquids rather than repelling them and leaving them on the surface. The thickness also helps prevent firearms from scratching the table. The back is non-slip and rolls up easily.
It’s designed specifically to clean rifles and is large enough to fit all types of rifles. It has a detailed diagram of an AR15 accompanied by a brief history etched on the mat.
- Firearm Type: Rifles
- Material: Neoprene
- Size: 36″ X 12″
- LOOKS GREAT ON YOUR BENCH/TABLE/COUNTER, SIZE LARGE 36 in x 12 in. Essential accessory for ar15 gunsmithing, repair and maintenance
- PREMIUM QUALITY MATERIAL - strong, sturdy, thick, durable and high build quality. Portable, rolls up good when you take it to shooting range
- PROTECTION FROM SCRATCHES AND DAMAGE - protection from scratches/damage to your weapon, but also protects the surface (table/counter tops) you're working on
- ABSORBENT - pad keeps cleaner solvent and lubrication off your table, soaks up any oil and solvent that would otherwise get on your cleaning surface without damaging mats ar 15 printing visibility
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE for 30 days - no hassle refund, excellent customer service
Top 3 Pistol Cleaning Mats
If pistols are your gun of choice, here are our top three pics for best pistol cleaning mats:
Real Avid is the best gun cleaning mat for those wanting to clean their pistols. The Real Avid line has a mat for pistols and rifles, but this review will focus on the smaller size for pistols.
It’s a mat that is made of non-absorbent materials. These materials mean that liquids don’t absorb into the mat but rather bounce off and sit on the surface. The back is non-slip. The side has a plastic part magnetically attached that is divided into sections, allowing you to store your tools and other gun components in them. This way you don’t have to worry about losing pieces that you set aside.
The mat also has a diagram design that shows you step-by-step how to disassemble your pistol. It’s a unique choice that is affordable, making it the best option for those who are uncertain about which one to choose.
Real Avid Handgun Smart Mat Specs
- Firearm Type: Pistol
- Material: Non-absorbent neoprene, plastic, magnetic components
- Size: 19″ x 16″
Like other pistol cleaning mats, the Rangetechnic is made from a material that is non-absorbent. Unlike other pistol cleaning mats, the Rangetechnic isn’t made of neoprene but silicone. The non-absorbent silicone rubber prevents lubricants from seeping in. This ensures that liquids don’t stain the table underneath the mat. It also allows you to easily clean off excess oil on the surface with a paper towel, rag, or any other type of cloth.
The unique element of the Rangetechnic is that it’s constructed to handle guns that are heated up to over 500 degrees Fahrenheit. It has units of measurements printed on it, which is different from many other styles that have designs and diagrams all over them.
- Firearm Type: Pistol
- Material: Silicone rubber
- Size: 11″ x 17″
- Thermal Resistance upto 482 degrees Farenheit - perfect for Hot Barrels
- Protects your work surface or bench from chemicals and oils
- 11 x 17 inch mat size for hand gun and pistol cleaning
- Rinses clean and rolls up to store in your range bag.
- Non Toxic Silicone Based Mat has low chemical reactivity and won't harm your gun's finish and will protect from rough surfaces
If you want a pistol cleaning mat that keeps your cleaning area free of stains and shows your support of the 2nd amendment, then this American flag cleaning mat is it. The image on it is a distressed American flag and the 2nd amendment. It’s a nice touch for gun enthusiasts everywhere.
It’s just big enough for you to clean any pistol on it. Not only is does it look great, but it functions well. It has a stitched border to help increase longevity. The other materials are waterproof and rubber backing.
While it’s not the best gun cleaning mat or the cheapest on the market, it can get the job done.
Distressed Flag Mat Specs
- Firearm Type: Pistol
- Material: Polyester, rubber
- Size: 11″ X 17″
- LARGE PROTECTIVE SURFACE: 11"x17" gun cleaning mat helps protect your kitchen table, work bench, shooting table or desk. Perfect accessory for gun cleaning or mouse pad.
- PREMIUM MATERIALS: Stitched border, black polyester top with waterproofing coating, white heat transfer printing prevents smearing, and non-slip natural tree rubber backing. Perfect for gunsmith or hobbyist
- EXCLUSIVE: Distressed US flag with Text of 2nd Amendment - Exclusive URB design!
- COVERED BY 100% LIFETIME WARRANTY: Designed & built for longevity, we stand behind our product with our US support team and 100% lifetime warranty. If you are not totally satisfied; return for a full refund
Choosing the Right Cleaning Mat
Any of these gun cleaning mats will do the job, but to find the right one for you, you have to ask yourself a few questions:
- Is it practical? – All of the gun cleaning mats listed above are practical, but one might night be practical for your needs. When determining what’s practical, you have to consider your budget, the guns you’re cleaning, and the cleaning area you’ll be using. You might not want or need something that is expensive because it doesn’t fit your budget, or you don’t feel the features are worth the price. You don’t want to be tricked by gun cleaning mats that are too cheap. They’re not practical because they likely won’t do what they say, and they won’t last long. Saving money is always great, but you need to be wary that you’re not actually wasting any money.
- Does it check the major boxes? – You want to ensure that the cleaning mat that you purchase serves the major two functions. You want to be sure that it won’t make a mess or that it will keep the mess contained. The second thing you need to ensure is that your firearm isn’t sliding around your cleaning area. Your gun cleaning mat shouldn’t slide around at all.
- Who’s selling it? – The brand shouldn’t affect your choice, but it can. Whether it’s a big name-brand or a small shop that makes it, you want to make sure where you’re purchasing from produces great products. A company should be able to stand behind their product. You also want to know whether a company will provide good customer support if you have any issues. If a company isn’t willing to openly communicate with you then don’t do business with them.
How to Clean Your Mat
The worst thing that could possibly happen would be your gun cleaning mat spilling oil all over the place due to the material not being leak-proof. Just because the mat you have will keep you from scrubbing your table or floor that doesn’t mean that you never have to clean it. It doesn’t matter if your cleaning mat is made from a leak-proof and durable material. You still need to clean it to extend the longevity.
To clean, you can use a towel, rag, or paper towel. Wash and wipe down with soap and water. Certain cleaning mats can be washed with detergents, meaning you can use a washing machine. When you clean yours, you should always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
If you’ve never used a gun cleaning mat before, here is a good YouTube video demonstrating one:
The Bottom Line
While not many gun owners buy a cleaning mat because they think they don’t need one, they make life so much easier. A cleaning mat is beneficial to you, your workshop, and your family. If you’re married, your partner will definitely appreciate the extra steps that you take to maintain cleanliness. Before buying, always research the brand you’re buying from and ensure that the mat you’re interested in has all the properties that you want.
Last Updated on