What Is A Gun Sling?
Gun slings allow you to store your hunting rifle at your side or over your back while you trek in and out of your hunting location of choice. A gun sling can allow you to have your hands free when climbing over tougher terrain, and can help you store your gun safely out of your way while maneuvering around tight spots.
A gun sling connects to both the stock and the muzzle of your rifle and acts as a form of support for both ends, allowing it to be balanced over your shoulder or across your back without having to be stored out of the way in a bag. The perks of a gun sling are that it allows you easy access to your rifle at a moment’s notice, without requiring you to remove it from a zipped storage case. This allows you to target prey on a dime without having to stress about if your gun is ready for use.
Features Of A Good Gun Sling
A good gun sling is made out of durable, long-lasting materials, such as industrial nylon, that allow your gun to remain supported close to your body, despite various degrees of movement. Gun slings can come in both clip and slip-knot-based varieties, which attach to your gun to provide support. A good gun sling should have some form of reinforced cordage to ensure that the gun sling itself has a long and useful life despite prolonged wear and environmental factors.
Most gun slings are adjustable, allowing you to customize the tightness of the strap for various situations, as well as letting you slip the gun sling over many layers of clothing comfortably without risking irritation and chafing. Gun slings come in a wide range of size and length options, which allows you to match up the gun sling to the ideal rifle. They are also useful for a wide range of situations besides carrying your rifle, from using them for camera bag straps to an improvised broken backpack strap, making them a crucial item for use both out in the field while hunting and at home.
Choosing A Gun Sling
When trying to pick out the right gun sling for your hunting kit, keep in mind the various uses that you intend for the sling, as well as your price point. While more complex strap systems may be more expensive, they tend to have additional comfort, storage, and security features that make them useful for longer trips. A simple clip gun sling may work well for a modern hunting rifle, as it can attach to parts of the stock and muzzle without issue. However for older rifles you may want a slip-knot based hunting gun sling to make it easier to attach the gun sling to your rifle. Waterproof or heavy-duty fabric options can help ensure that your gun sling operates for years to come, and can help protect your shoulder and your rifle from wear and tear along the way.
Whether you are looking for a simple gun sling to help carry your hunting rifle, or a more complex set of straps with storage areas for duck calls and other small tools, a gun sling can help keep you from becoming over encumbered on your hunting trip.
Best Gun Slings For The Money
Here are the top 10 items in the gun sling category on Amazon:
- Adjustable from 33" to 44"
- Swivels for standard swivel mounts
- Great for rifles, shotguns, and even crossbows
- Multiple color options available
- Allen Company LLC
- Padded to distribute the weight of your gun and relieve pressure on the shoulders
- Premium Quality, Heavy duty chafe resistant nylon webbing and durable high impact polymer composite parts guarantees years of reliable performance
- Mil-Spec swivels offer ease of motion. Very easy to operate. Allows for adjustment and rapid weapon removal.
- Perfect Size - Expandable adjusts up to 45 inches length adjuster.You can adjust the length you like to rapid transition between carry styles
- Designed for serious hunters simple, affordable weapon Sling with swivels. Swivels tested to 300 pounds"
- Provides a forward attachment point for the Magpul MS4 Sling and other push-button QD slings
- Machined from Mil-Spec anodized aluminum
- Beveled edges to reduce snagging; Anti-rotation design that prevents swivels from spinning
- All hardware necessary for attachment directly to M-LOK Slots is included
- No modifications to the m-lok hand guard or forend is Required
- 1.25" webbing on both ends secured with included triglides
- Webbing can be looped through sling swivels or loops or combined with available sling hardware
- Fits standard M4 carbines and other carbines and rifles
- Can be mounted upside down (Adjuster to the rear) on traditional bolt action rifles and shotguns for a "muzzle up" carry
- FAST ADJUST "on the fly" - Make fast length changes without having to disconnect sling. Minimize tangles and fumbles in the field
- ADJUSTABLE TO 55+ INCHES - works with all 1.25 inch multi-use attachment hardware, ITW MASH Hook, HK Hook, ParaClip (Magpul) and OEM Rifle Sling Swivels or QD Swivels
- PREMIUM TANGLE & CHAFE RESISTANT WEBBING - Superior "Box X" Stitching, Premium Heavy Duty Chafe Resistant Nylon Webbing, durable High Impact Polymer Composite parts. Mil-Spec quality, materials and build at a great price
- TUBE WEBBING 4000 POUND TEST - Unfailingly reliable, and far stronger than other webbing... strongest and best quality webbing available for weapons sling use and ideal in all close encounter and field carry and shooting applications
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE - BACKED WITH A 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - - The STI Sling quality and price point makes our product an unusually good value. Quality, Durability, PEERLESS Customer Support
Gun Sling Video
Here is a video discussing various Gun Slings for AR15 rifles: