What Is A Gun Sling?
Gun slings allow you to store your hunting rifle at your side or over your back while you trek in and out of your hunting location of choice. A gun sling can allow you to have your hands free when climbing over tougher terrain, and can help you store your gun safely out of your way while maneuvering around tight spots.
A gun sling connects to both the stock and the muzzle of your rifle and acts as a form of support for both ends, allowing it to be balanced over your shoulder or across your back without having to be stored out of the way in a bag. The perks of a gun sling are that it allows you easy access to your rifle at a moment’s notice, without requiring you to remove it from a zipped storage case. This allows you to target prey on a dime without having to stress about if your gun is ready for use.
Features Of A Good Gun Sling
A good gun sling is made out of durable, long-lasting materials, such as industrial nylon, that allow your gun to remain supported close to your body, despite various degrees of movement. Gun slings can come in both clip and slip-knot-based varieties, which attach to your gun to provide support. A good gun sling should have some form of reinforced cordage to ensure that the gun sling itself has a long and useful life despite prolonged wear and environmental factors.
Most gun slings are adjustable, allowing you to customize the tightness of the strap for various situations, as well as letting you slip the gun sling over many layers of clothing comfortably without risking irritation and chafing. Gun slings come in a wide range of size and length options, which allows you to match up the gun sling to the ideal rifle. They are also useful for a wide range of situations besides carrying your rifle, from using them for camera bag straps to an improvised broken backpack strap, making them a crucial item for use both out in the field while hunting and at home.
Choosing A Gun Sling
When trying to pick out the right gun sling for your hunting kit, keep in mind the various uses that you intend for the sling, as well as your price point. While more complex strap systems may be more expensive, they tend to have additional comfort, storage, and security features that make them useful for longer trips. A simple clip gun sling may work well for a modern hunting rifle, as it can attach to parts of the stock and muzzle without issue. However for older rifles you may want a slip-knot based hunting gun sling to make it easier to attach the gun sling to your rifle. Waterproof or heavy-duty fabric options can help ensure that your gun sling operates for years to come, and can help protect your shoulder and your rifle from wear and tear along the way.
Whether you are looking for a simple gun sling to help carry your hunting rifle, or a more complex set of straps with storage areas for duck calls and other small tools, a gun sling can help keep you from becoming over encumbered on your hunting trip.
Best Gun Slings For The Money
Here are the top 10 items in the gun sling category on Amazon:
- FAST ADJUST "on the fly" - Make fast length changes without having to disconnect sling. Minimize tangles and fumbles in the field
- ADJUSTABLE TO 55+ INCHES - works with all 1.25 inch multi-use attachment hardware, ITW MASH Hook, HK Hook, ParaClip (Magpul) and OEM Rifle Sling Swivels or QD Swivels
- PREMIUM TANGLE & CHAFE RESISTANT WEBBING - Superior "Box X" Stitching, Premium Heavy Duty Chafe Resistant Nylon Webbing, durable High Impact Polymer Composite parts. Mil-Spec quality, materials and build at a great price
- TUBE WEBBING 4000 POUND TEST - Unfailingly reliable, and far stronger than other webbing... strongest and best quality webbing available for weapons sling use and ideal in all close encounter and field carry and shooting applications
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE - BACKED WITH A 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - - The STI Sling quality and price point makes our product an unusually good value. Quality, Durability, PEERLESS Customer Support
- Fits guns with screw studs already mounted
- Adjustable from 33" to 44"
- Swivels for standard swivel mounts
- Great for rifles, shotguns, and even crossbows
- Multiple color options available
- Made of nylon material, very comfortable round your shoulder.
- Two-point sling with adjustable strap.
- Allows you to quickly adjust the length with a simple pull of the strap to tighten to the perfect position.
- Fits QD series.
- Perfect sling for you to enjoy outdoor activities.
- MORE THAN 86 FEET of Strong, Lightweight 550 lb Paracord (parachute chord)
- ADJUSTABLE length from 43" to 57" - with Easy Pull Loop to quickly and easily adjust length
- EXTRA WIDE 1.5" triple cobra weaved Paracord strap for added comfort
- USE YOUR OWN ATTACHMENTS with our durable, open ended 1" nylon straps - (comes with HK Clips & Rifle Swivel attachments)
- 10% Net profit donated to the National Rifle Association of America
- Convenience:The Feyachi sling isn't just a carry strap, its full range of adjustability will enhance retention when you need your hands free.
- High Quanlity:It is robust enough where it will not roll or fold on itself easily but still comfortable to wear for extended periods.
- The sling is made from lightweight, durable nylon and is comfortable and easily adjusted for the user's various equipment configurations.Heavy duty nylon construction ensures both enhanced durability and all-weather traction.
- Durable metal snap on/off connector clips with quick sling adjustment capability.
- The Feyachi 2 Point Sling fits for rifle to provide superior flexibility and security in any tactical situation.
Gun Sling Video
Here is a video discussing various Gun Slings for AR15 rifles: