Top Gun Vises Reviewed
If you’re a frequent shooter, enjoy hunting, or have military background, chances are your firearm is one of your most prized possessions. If this happens to be the case, you know the importance of caring for it and maintaining it regularly. To do so, you may visit your local gunsmith for a cleaning, repair, or similar service.
But with the quality gun vises on the market, taking care of these services yourself is made possible. Cleaning up your firearm is made quick, easy, and safe with one of these versatile tools. These luxury tools allow you to lubricate, brush, and clean your firearm with maximum stability. We have researched dozens of options and put together a review of the top 5-gun vises currently on the market.
Before we get into our top gun vise picks, we want to touch on a few important points regarding them, the importance of having one, the benefits they bring, and elements to consider when shopping for one. We hope this guide helps narrow down your search for finding the right vise for your firearm.
The Importance of a Good Gun Vise
If you take your firearm to your local gunsmith for cleanings, we congratulate you. This means you are taking the proper action to keep your firearm clean and well maintained. However, did you know you could save an abundance of money if you do this yourself with a quality gun vise and cleaning kit?
A gun vise will extend the lifetime of your firearm while reducing the cost of maintaining it. So instead of taking your firearm to a gunsmith, save yourself the time and money and clean it yourself from the comfort of your home.
Having your own gun vise is important because it facilitates the process of cleaning your firearm. It makes applying lubricant and oil simple and is compatible with different types of firearms. Additionally, you can use a one for repairing purposes or to zero in your gun. Believe us, this task is easy to learn, and many gun owners prefer to service their own firearms.
The Benefits of a Quality Gun Vise
A gun vise offers several benefits like increasing the durability of your rifle. Any professional gunsmith will tell you that to extend the lifetime of your firearm, you need to keep it clean and store it properly. They also give owners easy ways to get this job done while lowering maintenance costs.
If you’re still debating whether you need a gun vise, there are additional benefits from investing in one:
- Longer Lifespan – Keeping your firearm clean extends its lifetime. To properly maintain your firearm, you need a quality gun vise as well as a cleaning kit.
- Saves Money – Imagine how much money you can save by maintaining your own firearm instead of taking it to a gunsmith. Learning how to properly care for your gun is easy and can save you both time and money.
- Maximum Stability – If you’re cleaning up your rifle without the help of a gun vise, now may be the time to make this change as they offer maximum stability when maintaining your firearm.
- Saves Time – Why take your firearms to the gunsmith when you can care for them yourself? Aside from saving you money, your very own gun vise will also save you unnecessary trips to your local gunsmith.
- Affordable – There are hundreds of options currently on the market. This makes the process of narrowing down your selection a bit more difficult, but it means you have several prices to choose from.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Gun Vise
Now that you understand the benefits of a good gun vise, you need to know what factors to consider getting your hands on a quality one. When you know what to look for, finding a quality vise is not too difficult. Here are some of the features we kept in mind when reviewing the options currently on the market.
Gun vises are made from several materials and sometimes this is the deciding factor between a reliable one that will last or one that will break easily. The two main materials used in their construction are plastic and metal. Here are the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- A plastic vise is usually more affordable, easier to adjust, and can fit all your firearms. While they can be just as efficient and versatile as metal ones, they do tend to be lighter and not as durable as metal models.
- A metal vise is more expensive but will normally last longer than a plastic option. It also distributes produced vibrations better which is important if you plan on using the vise for sighting your gun.
No matter your budget, there is a great option on the market for you. The material you need depends on how often you’ll be working on your guns and how many of them you need to service. If you have several firearms or a gunsmith, we suggest investing a bit more on a sturdier gun vise.
On the other hand, if you won’t be needing it as frequently a plastic vise will do as they are inexpensive and easier to adjust. As the most important factor when selecting a vise, keep the material in mind prior to purchasing. This will give you the best value for your money!
Depending on your intended use, there are several different kinds of gun vises to consider that differ in usability, quality, and price. The best ones are very versatile and fit several types of guns which is great if you possess more than one firearm. Finding a vise that has adjustable parts to fit rifles, shotguns, and handguns is important.
Versatility needs to be considered especially if you own more than one type of gun. Quality gun vises can handle several different types of firearms. For instance, most can be used for shotguns and rifles. They’re composed of adjustable parts to fit both firearms when cleaning, maintaining, or bore sighting your gun.
Fixed VS Rotating Vises
There are two types of gun vises that are better for certain tasks. The more common kind is a fixed vise which allows you to secure your gun and keep it steady for a long time. This is ideal for cleaning or maintaining without the worry of it moving.
A rotating vise is not produced by a lot of manufacturers, but it does have its advantages the main one being that you’ll be able to approach this gun from different angles and conduct precise adjustments. A disadvantage is that it uses more moving parts which may not make it as sturdy as fixed ones. Also, you can’t apply too much force to it without causing permanent damage.
Our Top 5 Vises For Gunsmithing
Now that you know more about the benefits of owning your own gun vise and the features you should keep an eye out for, here are our top 5 picks:
Our first pick without a doubt must be the Caldwell Lead. You’ll greatly benefit from this gun vise and it is dual frame design which disperses recoil energy better than any of the other vises we’ve come across. The dual frame alignment is great for adjusting as necessary to fit your shotgun or rifle.
You’ll also receive maximum stability with the Caldwell. The battle tray holds up to 100 lbs. of lead, and the adjustment level gives you up to 18 inches of adjustment. After you lock your gun into place, it will stay there until you’re done cleaning it.
- The large frame of this vise fits any size firearm without any problems
- Offers precise adjustments giving users the flexibility to change windage and elevation levels as needed
- It minimizes felt recoil and vibration keeping your firearm in optimal shooting condition
- Compared to other models, it is a more expensive option
- This vise is not suitable for ARs
- Dual frame design disperses recoil energy even better than the original Lead Sled
- Dual frame alignment system adjusts 22" to fit rifles and shotguns of virtually any size
- Extremely fine windage and elevation adjustments with finger tip control-18 inches of adjustment
- Improved weight dispersion through our unique baffle and tray system
- Stay in optimal shooting position by making elevation corrections using the rear elevation collar
The Tipton is one of the best on the market and not only because of its affordable price. Composed of polymer materials, the central aluminum channel supports the vise properly to make the cleaning process quick and easy. The nylon shell surface keeps this vise safe against harmful chemicals and solvents.
Further, the Tipton fits handguns and ARs by adjusting its components. Once clamped, your gun will be held firmly giving you good access to all parts of your firearm. A setback that it may have is the plastic material it is made of making it less durable than other options available.
- The Tipton is very affordable
- Its excellent design makes it durable and extremely stable
- Resistant to damaging solvents and chemicals
- Maximum versatility
- Made from plastic which is not ideal for many customers
- EASE OF USE: L-shape center support holds break-open guns securely and separate quick-release cam blocks move independently to accommodate any stock shape
- VERSATILITY: Easily configurable to handle bolt-action rifles, break-open shotguns, extendable magazine rifles and handguns and every component adjusts to accommodate different firearms and projects
- DURABLE: Non-marring, solvent-resistant polymer stands up to years of hard use
- CONVENIENT: Flat and round bottom compartments hold bottles, screws and parts
- INNOVATIVE: Customized patch storage and two adjustable offset clamping mechanism on the rear base for a tight grip on a wide variety of buttstocks
Third on our list is the P3 Ultimate gun vise! This is a great selection for any shooter to have in their workspace as it is a good for firearm maintenance, cleaning, as well as bore sighting. It fits both rifles and handguns meaning you don’t need to purchase separate vises for each of your guns.
Highly adjustable, this vise secures your firearm into place until you’re done with the cleaning process. You also have the option to get the shooting rest attachment that goes with this vise which allows you to shoot your guns while locked in place. This ensures they are perfectly zeroed in without beating your shoulder.
- Fits any shotgun, pistol, or rifle without a problem
- Composed of hard steel tubing, this vise is sturdy and withstands scratches
- Included instructions are not very clear making the assembly process difficult
- The perfect tool for gun maintenance, gun cleaning and boresighting!
- Adjusts to accommodate both rifles and pistols.
- Optional Rest Attachment converts Gun Vise into a Shooting Rest in seconds.
- Heavy-duty steel construction with durable E-coat finish inside and out.
- Made in the USA!
A great feature of the Tipton 110011 is its versatility, accommodating handguns, shotguns, rifles, compound bows, crossbows, and break open shotguns. A great option for cleaning and gunsmithing this model withstands years of hard use. It is solvent-resistance and its rubber contact pads prevent damage to your gun or bow.
Designed with dual clamp technology, you can have peace of mind that once your firearm is clamped in, it will remain stable and secure. It also features 4 leveling feet to get your gun ready for scope mounting. An all-around excellent choice, this gun vice is among the best ones you can own.
- Extreme durability
- Makes a great gunsmithing vise
- Versatile – used for cleaning and mounting scopes
- More expensive than similar models
- Solvent-resistant and rigid steel frame to stand up to years of hard Use
- Over-molded rubber contact pads throughout the device to prevent damage to your firearms or bows
- Works with rifles, break open shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, Compound bows, crossbows and hand guns
- Ideal for Cleaning, gunsmithing, scope mounting and firearm and bow maintenance. For short framed rifle or pistol, just slide the clamps closer together.
- 2 accessory trays that can be rearranged or removed
This Hyskore model works as a 3-shot sighting system and adjusts to the length of any firearm. It’s a great option for scope mounting and cleaning. Made from steel, this tool mechanically and optically aligns the point of impact and aim.
In addition, you’ll receive easy to follow instructions making the assembly and operation of this vise simple. The precision of this selection is remarkable offering 4-point leveling with adjustable forend support. It offers a stable cleaning platform and sights in your rifle I no more than five shots.
We’ll finish this Hyskore cleaning a sighting gun vise review by mentioning that it has adjustable front and forend elevators along with a plastic utility tray included. It is also a made from welded steel construction with a powder coat finish.
- Made from welded tubular steel construction
- Fits all firearms
- Used for cleaning and scope mounting
- Built in 4-point sighting level
- Cleaning parts are made from thin plastic
- Works as a 3 shot sighting system
- Adjusts to any length gun
- Supports guns perfectly for cleaning and scope mounting
- Welded tubular steel construction
- Parts tray included
Not only will a quality gun vise help you with cleaning, preparing, and maintaining your firearms, but they can also be used for other tasks like mounting or zeroing. A quality tool will be easy to use and once you get the hang of one you’ll be able to use it for many purposes.
We hope this buyers guide has helped you narrow down your hunt for the best vise for you. Remember that a gun vise is an important tool that everything shooter needs. It’s a great investment and whichever one you decide on don’t forget to properly care for it to keep it around for years to come.
Last Updated on