Best Hunting Knives
What Is A Hunting Knife
When it comes to hunting, there are basically two types of bladed instruments that are used: a hunting knife and a hunting dagger. Between the two, you would be surprised to know that while one is used for killing animals, the other is used for post-hunting activities like skinning and cutting. The question is: Which blade is used for which?
In order to know, let us first ask the question: What is a hunting knife? It is the one that hunters use to skin their game and cut them into pieces. If you search for it online, you will see that there are many styles of hunting knives that are defined by their blade and handle. Others are straightforward and look very much like small kitchen knives. Others, though, are more elaborate and have arched bodies and fancy-looking handles.
If you search for “what is a hunting knife”, you will see that there is a question about which brands are the best in the world. Well, we have an answer to that in the form of a list and the list is quite extensive. The top brands are Opinel, Havalon Piranta, Buck Omni, SOG Huntspoint, among other brands.
The knives that we mentioned above are only four of the top eleven brands in the market now. But how much do they cost? Their prices vary from $12 to $400. If you’re wondering about the huge difference in the price, it is only because of the hardness of the blade. The $400 knife is made through a process called friction forging. This means that it will never dull and will never need re-sharpening ever.
Of course, if you are like most people, you are not a professional hunter and only hunt on occasion, in which case it is perfectly okay to get a cheap knife. Of course, just because you are getting a cheap one, it does not mean that it’s okay to buy the first knife you encounter online. Read the reviews on Amazon to see which affordable brands are great to buy.
What makes a hunting knife different from other knives? It has to do with the blade. It is made specifically to easily separate the skin from the meat. This is especially useful if you just hunted a large animal. Skinning with an ordinary knife will make it difficult for you to complete your hunting task. But you don’t need to take our word for it. You can see for yourself.
Aside from skinning your game, you can also use a hunting knife for gutting and for deboning. You can also use it for butchering or slicing, and you can also use it for caping. Caping is the process of creating a hunting trophy by skinning the skin around the neck, chest and shoulder. The head is then detached from the rest of the body.
Best Fixed Blade Hunting Knives For The Money
- Winner of 2016 Scandinavian Outdoor Award based on functionality, quality, innovation, design, and sustainability
- Sandvik 12C27 stainless steel blade is razor sharp and features high hardness, exceptional toughness and good corrosion resistance
- Two versions available: with a Neck Kit that includes hard plastic sheath, firesteel, paracord and secondary lock; or with plastic sheath alone
- Square-edged ground spine blade can be used as a striker with firesteel; made in Sweden
- Total length: 5.6 inches; blade length: 2.2 inches (56mm); blade thickness: 0.8 inches (2mm); weight: 2.8oz (80g); 1-year warranty
- Full tang, ceramic-coated 420HC drop point blade.
- Rubberized diamond-texture handle for unshakeable grip.
- Striking pommel at base of handle for rescue + survival.
- Modular sheath can be mounted on MOLLE, on belt, or traditional drop leg.
- Brute strength in the moment you need it most.
- 9" OVERALL
- 4.5" 3.5MM BLADE, STAINLESS STEEL
- INCLUDES BLACK NYLON FIBER SHEATH
- BLACK NYLON FIBER HANDLE
- Compact, skeletal 420HC steel frame.
- Black ceramic coating for minimal reflection + corrosion.
- Diamond texture rubber handle for superior grip.
- Modular sheath system for concealed or open carry.
- Always on hand. Always ready. Never unprepared.
- Fixed blade utility knife with an extra-think carbon steel blade for extra strength and durability
- Blade Thickness: 0.125 in (0.32 cm), Blade Length: 3.6 in (9.1 cm), Total Length: 8.25 in (20.9 cm), Net Weight: 4.9 oz (140 g)
- Ergonomic handle of TPE rubber provides optimum grip
- Hard plastic Combi-Sheath allows for the connection of a second knife and sheath
- Limited lifetime manufacturer's warranty.
- DURABLE BLADE FINISH: A bead blast or stonewash finish gives the blades greater wear resistance
- TOUGH HANDLE: Glass-reinforced nylon or G10 handles are strong and lightweight for long-lasting use
- 3 FINGER GROOVES: Help you grip this small knife safely and make detail cuts with more precision
- HOLDER INCLUDED: Knives come with a glass-reinforced nylon sheath for multiple carrying options
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: We'll repair or replace your knife if broken by material or manufacturing defect
- Spyderco Dragonfly 2 Lightweight Knife
- DIMENSIONS: 6.3 inch (15.9 cm) overall length with a blade length of 2.6 inches (6.7 cm) and a weight of 4 ounces
- DURABLE: Blade is made of reliable 65Mn High Carbon S.S. with black G-10 handle slabs
- DEPENDABLE: Quick and easy access with the convenient black, multi-carry option thermoplastic belt sheath (Compatible with the Schrade FR4 Removable Ferro Rod Attachment)
- SECURE: Have confidence that the blade will not slip with the security of the thumb rest jimping
- BE PREPARED: Knife features a full tang design and lanyard hole
- Built for combat and survival applications, the Strong-arm features a fine edge, full tang 420HC steel blade
- Ceramic blade coating & rubberized diamond-texture grip
- A striking pommel at the base of the handle breaks through hard surfaces, effective in rescue operations and everyday situations alike
- Modular strap-together sheath system can be mounted vertically on MOLLE, horizontally on a belt, or in drop-leg fashion
- Handle material is glass-filled nylon with rubber overmold
- This proven fixed blade offers an upgraded full tang, fine edge blade, now made of BDZ-1 steel
- Due to its ability to achieve high hardness, excellent edge retention, and stain resistance, BDZ-1 is an ideal steel for utility and combat situations where your knife might take a beating
- Featuring a grippy rubberized diamond-texture grip, this is a knife you can bet your life on
- The MOLLE-compatible multi-mount sheath system offers optimal customization, keeping your knife ever at the ready in combat situations
- Made in USA in Portland, or
Here are the top 10 folding blade hunting knives:
Best Folding Blade Hunting Knives For The Money
- Blade Length: 3 1/4 inches; Closed Length: 4 1/2 inches; Overall Length 7 3/4 inches; Weight 5oz
- Plain - no logo
- Blade: 440 Stainless Steel
- Handle: Black and Orange aluminum with rubber EMT logo
- Speedsafe Thumb Stud Assisted opening with Pocket Clip
- 3.1" 8Cr13MoV stainless steel blade with black-oxide finish for excellent toughness, edge retention and wear resistance
- Textured glass-filled nylon handle scales offer a solid grip with gentle contour and comfortable in-hand feel
- Drop-point, partially serrated blade is perfect for tackling everyday tasks like opening cardboard boxes, cutting rope, stripping wire and more
- Feature rich handle includes SpeedSafe assisted opening, built-in flipper, secure locking liner and convenient reversible pocket clip
- The black Clash is a great tool for any hiker, hunter, angler, gardener, mechanic, backpacker or anyone in need of a solid, reliable EDC
- With multifunctional appeals and value pricing, Shuffle II features a flathead screwdriver tip, handy bottle opener on either side of knife and lanyard hole
- Reliable 8Cr13MoV stainless steel tanto-blade is extremely sharp and designed to puncture, slash, stab, slice, chop or scrape the surface of various tough materials
- Reversible pocketclip is convenient for tip-down left or right handed carry
- Dual, ambidextrous thumbstuds positioned on both sides of blade; safe and ergonomic for manual opening with no mechanical assistance
- General all-purpose use as small carry knife for EDC tasks, hunting, fishing, camping, utility or as the perfect gift
- FOLDING KNIFE
- 4.5" CLOSED
- 3" RAINBOW STAINLESS STEEL BLADE
- ALUMINUM HANDLE
- INCLUDES POCKET CLIP
- Ideal everyday carry knife
- One hand-opening blade
- Extra line cutter blades stored under handle Slab
- Perfect sized knife with one hand-opening blade and extra emergency tools
- Partially serrated edge, 3.4-inch steel folding blade has a clip point shape with a hardcase black finish
- Stylish Samurai sword style aircraft grade aluminum handle
- 440c stainless steel tanto blade w/ Japanese engraving
- Stainless steel pocket clip and keychain loop
- Stainless steel liner-lock to lock blade open
- Big-bellied blade is tough with strong high point perfect for multiple tactical uses including piercing hard material
- Textured G-10 on front handle is epoxy filled woven glass fiber tinted brown to pair with gun, tools or briefcase
- Blade opens automatically with wave shaped open feature when drawn from pocket or manually with thumb disk when carried elsewhere; open length is 8.5 inches
- CQC-11K joins team as newest offering from Kershaw-Emerson's growing series of affordable, premium, easy-to-carry pocket knives
- Innovative features include reversible pocket clip, secure frame lock and carbon-rich blade manufactured for hardness and wear resistance
- Tac Force Multi-Purpose Folding Knife 7.5" Overall Length - Very Sharp 3.5" Stainless Steel Blade - Black Matte Finish 4" Smooth Pakkawood Handle - Very Comfortable Grip Includes Belt Clip Liner Lock Safety System
- 4-way Clip. Screw-together construction.
- Skeletonized steel internal liners. Phosphor bronze washers.
- FRN Bi-Directional Textured handle.
- David Boye Dent. Enlarged opening hole.
- Spine jimping. Full flat-ground blade.
- Material: Stainless Steel 420
Hunting Knife Video
Here is a video discussing how to choose a hunting knife: