The Top Hunting Knives Reviewed
When it comes to hunting, there are basically two types of bladed instruments that are used: a hunting knife and a hunting dagger. Between the two, you would be surprised to know that while one is used for killing animals, the other is used for post-hunting activities like skinning and cutting. The question is: Which blade is used for which?
In order to know, let us first ask the question: What is a hunting knife? It is the one that hunters use to skin their game and cut them into pieces. If you search for it online, you will see that there are many styles of hunting knives that are defined by their blade and handle. Others are straightforward and look very much like small kitchen knives. Others, though, are more elaborate and have arched bodies and fancy-looking handles.
If you search for “what is a hunting knife”, you will see that there is a question about which brands are the best in the world. Well, we have an answer to that in the form of a list and the list is quite extensive.
The Best Fixed Blade Hunting Knives
- RAZOR SHARP CLIP POINT BLADE - 6" Clip Point 420HC steel blade has excellent strength, edge retention, and corrosion resistance for lasting durability. The clip blade is good for piercing, detail work, and cutting in tight places
- COMFORTABLE GRIP & BALANCE - Traditional black phenolic handle has palm swells for a comfortable grip. The aluminum pommel/guard provide the perfect combination of beauty and balance. Overall length 10-1/2", Weighs 7.5 oz.
- AN AMERICAN ICON - Classic phenolic handle and aluminum pommel/guard provide a perfect combination of beauty and balance. One of Buck's top selling knives, the 119 Special is one that's handed down from generation to generation
- CONVENIENT CARRY- Includes a genuine high quality protective leather sheath with snap fastener. The integrated belt loop allows you to carry the knife securely and safely on your belt
- MADE IN THE USA - FOREVER WARRANTY - Since 1902 Buck Knives has offered a lifetime warranty on our knives because we believe in the integrity of our products. This knife is proudly made in the USA
- Tactical hunting Rambo Full Tang knife 15-inch over all, made by 440C Stainless Steel
- Sawback Bowie, Black Anodize, Blade Length 10-inch, Thickness: 3.5mm, ideal for camping expeditions or survival training
- This bowie knife is the perfect camping and hunting knife. It's suitable for any hunter, camper, survivalist, or outdoor sports enthusiast so that you can enjoy your adventure
- Full-tang Rubber Handle: classic design made of soft rubber, non-slip grip to use
- Includes nylon sheath with a belt loop for easy and safe carry，fire Starter and sharpener included
- Razor Sharp Blade: Clip Point Bowie Steel Blade, edge retention, and corrosion resistance.
- Full Tang Stacked Leather Handle: delivers excellent strength, with grip ridges for safe and comfortable handling
- Impact Nylon Sheath: with guard for safe and secure carry with easy access
- Perfect for Outdoor or Collection: suitable for various military, hunting, survival, tactical, industrial and outdoor situations
- Blade Length: 4"/6", Overall Length: 7.75"/10", Total Weight: 1.06lbs
The Best Folding Hunting Knives
- EASY TO USE - One hand deployment. Blades easy to replace with the push of a button.
- EVERYDAY CARRY (EDC) - Great pocket knife for hunting (skinning and gutting), camping, hiking, fishing, opening boxes
- SUPERIOR BLADES - Razor-sharp, heat treated, hand finished 44J2 stainless steel replaceable blades. 3.0-inch Razor-Lite EDC comes with 4 blades, and 3.5-inch model includes 6
- NON-SLIP GRIP and POCKET CLIP -- Lightweight and sturdy Grivory handle with rubberized TPR handle inserts. Sturdy pocket clip.
- ADDITIONAL REPLACEMENT BLADES SOLD SEPARATELY - 3.0-inch knives require Model RR30-6 and 3.5-inch require Model RR6
- 8.5" Fixed Blade & 5" Closed Folder
- 4MM THICKNESS FOR FIXED BLADE AND 3MM FOR FOLDER
- 4" FIXED BLADE AND 3.75" BLADE FOLDER
- 4.25" HANDLE FOR BOTH FIXED BLADE AND FOLDER
- HANDLE WITH LANYARD HOLE
- SPRING ASSISTED TACTICAL FOLDING KNIFE
- 6" CLOSED
- 4.5" BLACK HALF SERRATED STAINLESS STEEL BLADE
- 6" GREY/BLACK HANDLE WITH SHERIFF MEDALLION
- INCLUDES POCKET CLIP
The knives that we mentioned above are only four of the top eleven brands in the market now. But how much do they cost? Their prices vary from $12 to $400. If you’re wondering about the huge difference in the price, it is only because of the hardness of the blade. The $400 knife is made through a process called friction forging. This means that it will never dull and will never need re-sharpening ever.
Of course, if you are like most people, you are not a professional hunter and only hunt on occasion, in which case it is perfectly okay to get a cheap knife. Of course, just because you are getting a cheap one, it does not mean that it’s okay to buy the first knife you encounter online. Read the reviews on Amazon to see which affordable brands are great to buy.
What makes a hunting knife different from other knives? It has to do with the blade. It is made specifically to easily separate the skin from the meat. This is especially useful if you just hunted a large animal. Skinning with an ordinary knife will make it difficult for you to complete your hunting task. But you don’t need to take our word for it. You can see for yourself.
Aside from skinning your game, you can also use a hunting knife for gutting and for deboning. You can also use it for butchering or slicing, and you can also use it for caping. Caping is the process of creating a hunting trophy by skinning the skin around the neck, chest and shoulder. The head is then detached from the rest of the body.
Hunting Knife Video
Here is a video discussing how to choose a hunting knife:
Last Updated on