Best Hunting Knives
What Is A Hunting Knife
When it comes to hunting, there are basically two types of bladed instruments that are used: a hunting knife and a hunting dagger. Between the two, you would be surprised to know that while one is used for killing animals, the other is used for post-hunting activities like skinning and cutting. The question is: Which blade is used for which?
In order to know, let us first ask the question: What is a hunting knife? It is the one that hunters use to skin their game and cut them into pieces. If you search for it online, you will see that there are many styles of hunting knives that are defined by their blade and handle. Others are straightforward and look very much like small kitchen knives. Others, though, are more elaborate and have arched bodies and fancy-looking handles.
If you search for “what is a hunting knife”, you will see that there is a question about which brands are the best in the world. Well, we have an answer to that in the form of a list and the list is quite extensive. The top brands are Opinel, Havalon Piranta, Buck Omni, SOG Huntspoint, among other brands.
The knives that we mentioned above are only four of the top eleven brands in the market now. But how much do they cost? Their prices vary from $12 to $400. If you’re wondering about the huge difference in the price, it is only because of the hardness of the blade. The $400 knife is made through a process called friction forging. This means that it will never dull and will never need re-sharpening ever.
Of course, if you are like most people, you are not a professional hunter and only hunt on occasion, in which case it is perfectly okay to get a cheap knife. Of course, just because you are getting a cheap one, it does not mean that it’s okay to buy the first knife you encounter online. Read the reviews on Amazon to see which affordable brands are great to buy.
What makes a hunting knife different from other knives? It has to do with the blade. It is made specifically to easily separate the skin from the meat. This is especially useful if you just hunted a large animal. Skinning with an ordinary knife will make it difficult for you to complete your hunting task. But you don’t need to take our word for it. You can see for yourself.
Aside from skinning your game, you can also use a hunting knife for gutting and for deboning. You can also use it for butchering or slicing, and you can also use it for caping. Caping is the process of creating a hunting trophy by skinning the skin around the neck, chest and shoulder. The head is then detached from the rest of the body.
Best Fixed Blade Hunting Knives For The Money
- Set of two hunting knives includes 7-inch straight edge hunting/skinning knife and 6-1/2-inch gut hook knife
- Blades made of 440 stainless steel for excellent hardness and edge retention
- 7-inch knife with camo ABS handle with lanyard hole; 6-1/2-inch knife with camo ABS handle and finger hole
- Black nylon dual carry sheath for easy and safe carry
- Razor Sharp Clip Point Blade: 8.5" clip point 3CR13 blade has excellent strength, edge retention and corrosion resistance for lasting durability, good for piercing, detail work, and cutting in tight places
- Full-tang Wood Handle: classic design made of rosewood, provides comfortable grip and balance with brass pommel / guard, non-slip grip to use
- Overall length: 14"; Blade length: 8.5"; Handle length: 5.5"; Weight: 0.88lbs
- Genuine Leather Sheath with Snap Fastener: high quality protective sheath with integrated belt loop for safe and secure carry with easy access
- Suitable for various military, hunting, survival, tactical, industrial and outdoor situations
- Full tang construction
- Textured rubber handle scales
- Glass bead blade finish
- Fine edge blades
- Nylon sheath with metal snaps
- Compact, skeletal 420HC steel frame.
- Black ceramic coating for minimal reflection + corrosion.
- Diamond texture rubber handle for superior grip.
- Modular sheath system for concealed or open carry.
- Always on hand. Always ready. Never unprepared.
- Snake Eye Tactical Fixed Blade Knife.
- 8.5" Overall Length.
- 4.5" Saw-back Stainless Steel Blade.
- All Black Textured Handle For Superior Grip in Different Conditions.
- Includes Nylon Sheath.
- Elk Ridge
- Made in United States
- The KA-BAR/TDI (Tactical Defense Institute) Shark Bite is made completely of Ultramid B3EG6, a synthetic hard plastic material
- Features a 2.625" long and 1.438" wide blade.
- The overall length is 5.125" and the approximate weight is 0.15 lb..
- The Shark Bite comes with an Ultramid sheath and 24" #3 black epoxy coated steel ball chain.
- Material: the blade using high quality stainless steel and the case also handle using non-skid design plastic. Ergonomically designed handle
- Usage: Very Nice tool for camping, fighting survival, self defenses
- Maintenance: After using in water environment wipe the water off, and before put in the sheath put some lubricants.
- Attention: the blade are Sharpe do not let kids under 13 to play or use it. The handle are plastic material do not too close with high temperature
- Stainless steel Whole Length: 7.4inch Blade Length: 3.5inch Blade Width : 1.2inch Blade Thickness: 0.15inch
Here are the top 10 folding blade hunting knives:
Best Folding Blade Hunting Knives For The Money
- Highly visual, orange rubber handle is easy to spot + grip.
- Replaceable razor blade is safely switched out w/ the push of a button.
- Larger finger choil + width offer solid, comfortable grip
- Don't be without it on the big hunt.
- Blaze orange handle makes it easy to spot
- Brand: Spyderco
- Model: Delica
- Color: Black, orange, red
- Stylish edc folding pocket knife is essential for everyday use-cutting tasks, food preparation, survival tool, self-defense or makes the perfect gift
- Sharp and reliable 420HC stainless steel blade with stonewashed, blackwash finish pairs handsomely with blue, lightweight aluminum handle
- Speedsafe assisted opening provides a quick, secure and safe open with a simple pull of the flipper moving the blade out of handle
- Cutting Edge: 2.75", Plain
- Blade Thickness: 0.093"
- Blade Color: Satin
- Handle Material: Nylon 6 Handle Color: Black
- Weight: 2.8 oz.
- Ideal everyday carry knife
- One hand-opening blade
- Extra line cutter blades stored under handle Slab
- Perfect sized knife with one hand-opening blade and extra emergency tools
- Partially serrated edge, 3.4-inch steel folding blade has a clip point shape with a hardcase black finish
- Buck Knives
- Semper Fi Exclusive Officially Licensed USMC Marine Corps Elite Tactical Pocket Knife Sturdy Belt Clip With USMC Engraved
- Three Colors to Choose Form Black Stonewashed Or Desert Tan All Come with a Sharp Tanto Blade
- G10 Handle Military Rescue Spring Assisted Folding Knife With Window Breaker and Seat Belt Cutter
- Ergonomic G10 Handle For The Best Grip On The Market. Officially Licensed With the EGA Logo on the Handle and Marines The Few The Proud on The Blade
- The Perfect Size 9 Inch Opened 5 Inch Closed and 4 Inch Blade Spring Assisted Sharp Tanto Blade
Hunting Knife Video
Here is a video discussing how to choose a hunting knife: