Best Hunting Knives
What Is A Hunting Knife
When it comes to hunting, there are basically two types of bladed instruments that are used: a hunting knife and a hunting dagger. Between the two, you would be surprised to know that while one is used for killing animals, the other is used for post-hunting activities like skinning and cutting. The question is: Which blade is used for which?
In order to know, let us first ask the question: What is a hunting knife? It is the one that hunters use to skin their game and cut them into pieces. If you search for it online, you will see that there are many styles of hunting knives that are defined by their blade and handle. Others are straightforward and look very much like small kitchen knives. Others, though, are more elaborate and have arched bodies and fancy-looking handles.
If you search for “what is a hunting knife”, you will see that there is a question about which brands are the best in the world. Well, we have an answer to that in the form of a list and the list is quite extensive. The top brands are Opinel, Havalon Piranta, Buck Omni, SOG Huntspoint, among other brands.
The knives that we mentioned above are only four of the top eleven brands in the market now. But how much do they cost? Their prices vary from $12 to $400. If you’re wondering about the huge difference in the price, it is only because of the hardness of the blade. The $400 knife is made through a process called friction forging. This means that it will never dull and will never need re-sharpening ever.
Of course, if you are like most people, you are not a professional hunter and only hunt on occasion, in which case it is perfectly okay to get a cheap knife. Of course, just because you are getting a cheap one, it does not mean that it’s okay to buy the first knife you encounter online. Read the reviews on Amazon to see which affordable brands are great to buy.
What makes a hunting knife different from other knives? It has to do with the blade. It is made specifically to easily separate the skin from the meat. This is especially useful if you just hunted a large animal. Skinning with an ordinary knife will make it difficult for you to complete your hunting task. But you don’t need to take our word for it. You can see for yourself.
Aside from skinning your game, you can also use a hunting knife for gutting and for deboning. You can also use it for butchering or slicing, and you can also use it for caping. Caping is the process of creating a hunting trophy by skinning the skin around the neck, chest and shoulder. The head is then detached from the rest of the body.
Best Fixed Blade Hunting Knives For The Money
- Serrated high carbon stainless steel drop point blade - ideal for edge retention and cutting rope
- Ergonomic textured rubber grip - maximizes comfort and reduces slippage
- Stainless steel pommel - at base of handle for hammering
- Full tang, ceramic-coated 420HC drop point blade.
- Rubberized diamond-texture handle for unshakeable grip.
- Striking pommel at base of handle for rescue + survival.
- Modular sheath can be mounted on MOLLE, on belt, or traditional drop leg.
- Brute strength in the moment you need it most.
- Tactical hunting Rambo Full Tang knife 15-inch over all, made by 440C Stainless Steel
- Sawback Bowie, Black Anodize, Blade Length 10-inch, Thickness: 3.5mm, ideal for camping expeditions or survival training
- This bowie knife is the perfect camping and hunting knife. It's suitable for any hunter, camper, survivalist, or outdoor sports enthusiast so that you can enjoy your adventure
- Full-tang Rubber Handle: classic design made of soft rubber, non-slip grip to use
- Includes nylon sheath with a belt loop for easy and safe carry，fire Starter and sharpener included
- Tools & Home Improvement
- Compact, skeletal 420HC steel frame.
- Black ceramic coating for minimal reflection + corrosion.
- Diamond texture rubber handle for superior grip.
- Modular sheath system for concealed or open carry.
- Always on hand. Always ready. Never unprepared.
- 9" OVERALL
- 4.5" 3.5MM BLADE, STAINLESS STEEL
- INCLUDES BLACK NYLON FIBER SHEATH
- BLACK NYLON FIBER HANDLE
- Fixed blade utility knife with an extra-think carbon steel blade for extra strength and durability
- Blade Thickness: 0.125 in (0.32 cm), Blade Length: 3.6 in (9.1 cm), Total Length: 8.25 in (20.9 cm), Net Weight: 4.9 oz (140 g)
- Ergonomic handle of TPE rubber provides optimum grip
- Hard plastic Combi-Sheath allows for the connection of a second knife and sheath
- Limited lifetime manufacturer's warranty.
- Made in United States
- The KA-BAR/TDI (Tactical Defense Institute) Shark Bite is made completely of Ultramid B3EG6, a synthetic hard plastic material
- Features a 2.625" long and 1.438" wide blade.
- The overall length is 5.125" and the approximate weight is 0.15 lb..
- The Shark Bite comes with an Ultramid sheath and 24" #3 black epoxy coated steel ball chain.
Here are the top 10 folding blade hunting knives:
Best Folding Blade Hunting Knives For The Money
- Blade Length: 3 1/4 inches; Closed Length: 4 1/2 inches; Overall Length 7 3/4 inches; Weight 5oz
- Plain - no logo
- Blade: 440 Stainless Steel
- Handle: Black and Orange aluminum with rubber EMT logo
- Speedsafe Thumb Stud Assisted opening with Pocket Clip
- 3.1" 8Cr13MoV stainless steel blade with black-oxide finish for excellent toughness, edge retention and wear resistance
- Textured glass-filled nylon handle scales offer a solid grip with gentle contour and comfortable in-hand feel
- Drop-point, partially serrated blade is perfect for tackling everyday tasks like opening cardboard boxes, cutting rope, stripping wire and more
- Feature rich handle includes SpeedSafe assisted opening, built-in flipper, secure locking liner and convenient reversible pocket clip
- The black Clash is a great tool for any hiker, hunter, angler, gardener, mechanic, backpacker or anyone in need of a solid, reliable EDC
- Tac Force Multi-Purpose Folding Knife 7.5" Overall Length - Very Sharp 3.5" Stainless Steel Blade - Black Matte Finish 4" Smooth Pakkawood Handle - Very Comfortable Grip Includes Belt Clip Liner Lock Safety System
- Cutting Edge: 2.75", Plain
- Blade Thickness: 0.093"
- Blade Color: Satin
- Handle Material: Nylon 6 Handle Color: Black
- Weight: 2.8 oz.
- 4 way clip: tip up/down left/right hand
- Screw together construction
- Skeletonized steel internal liners
- Phosphor bronze washers
- Enlarged opening hole
- FOLDING KNIFE
- 4.5" CLOSED
- 3" RAINBOW STAINLESS STEEL BLADE
- ALUMINUM HANDLE
- INCLUDES POCKET CLIP
- Ideal everyday carry knife
- One hand-opening blade
- Extra line cutter blades stored under handle Slab
- Perfect sized knife with one hand-opening blade and extra emergency tools
- Partially serrated edge, 3.4-inch steel folding blade has a clip point shape with a hardcase black finish
Hunting Knife Video
Here is a video discussing how to choose a hunting knife: