The Top 6 Trail Cameras Reviewed
From hunting to theft detection, wireless trail cameras are rising in popularity and becoming an essential part of outdoor technology. Around for several years, hunters have found them extremely useful when hunting for wildlife. Not only this, but they are also used as home security systems to keep properties safe.
With the large selection of cameras available on the market, it becomes difficult to select a quality camera. Knowing your intended purpose and the variety of models available will help narrow down this selection. To help you out, we reviewed 6 different options for game cameras.
If you are in a hurry, our choice for the best trail camera is the Campark Trail Game Camera.
- 14MP Clearer Image + 1080P Sharper Video Resolution The trail camera captures 14MP crystal images and full HD 1080P videos,providing more high-quality details during daytime(black and white at night).You could see the vivid world of wildlife from the 2.4 inch color LCD screen.
- Faster 0.3S Trigger Speed Once detecting the movements,the hunting camera will be triggered instantly in 0.3S without delay.You will never miss any exciting moments even at night.The trigger distance is up to 20 m.
- Excellent Sensitivity and Night Vision with 3 PIR The scouting camera will detect movements of wild animals as soon as they enter the detecting range.With 3 passive infrared sensors and 42 upgraded infrared LEDs without bright flash,the high-sensitive camera can detect and record any breathtaking motion with lower power consumption.
- 120°Wide Angle Lens + Waterproof Sturdy Device The game camera is equipped with 120 degree detecting range,which allows you to get excellent broader view.It will record any animal movements you want with wide angle lens even in rainy days.
- Easy to Operate + Multiple Applications The hunting cam is easy to operate and mount.You could apply the user-friendly device to outdoor activities,not only hunting but also home security, property surveillance, wildlife monitoring and scouting,Farm Security. We guarantee 45 days money back and 12-month warranty and professional after-sale service within 24 hours.
- HIGH RESOLUTION PHOTO & VIDEO: Provides excellent 12MP, sharp and vibrant photos, as well as 1080P Full HD clear videos with sound up to 10 minutes long. 120-degree wide angle lens offers huge shooting scope. Comes equipped with a 2.4" LCD color monitor, which is used for previewing photos and videos, camera targeting and browsing the menu for easy operation. Capture stunning wildlife images - with vivid colors during the day, and detailed black & white shots at night.
- FAR RANGE NIGHT VISION: This hunting camera is motion activated with up to 65-ft detection range, and equipped with 42 no glow "black" IR LEDs which provide fantastic lightning without any visible flash. This ensures super reliable wildlife monitoring without deterring any animals away. Superfast PIR motion sensor with 0.5-second trigger time, and adjustable sensitivity, assure that whether using this camera on the hunting trail or in your backyard, it will not miss a thing!
- SET IT & FORGET IT: Camera setup is quick & easy. Simply insert 4 or 8 AA batteries and a MicroSD card up to 32GB (not included) and it's ready for use. Enjoy easy operation with user-friendly menu. Conveniently mount camera to a tree with included tree strap. Energy efficient operating system has a long battery life - up to 8 months in standby mode. Its durable IP65 water resistant case protects from moisture, dust, sand and dirt, so Our Scouting camera can operate in any type of weather.
- OUTSTANDING FEATURES: This trail cam offers many exceptional features, including time stamp displaying moon phase and temperature, timer, real-time replay, hybrid mode and interval recording. Use this trail camera for hunting, trail games, wildlife monitoring and/or as a security monitor for protecting your home, backyard or farm. Password protection feature guarantees your images will stay private if camera is ever lost or stolen. Included cable for USB connection.
- RISK-FREE PURCHASE: Don't worry about missing Amazon's 30-day return window! We Offer a 120-day, no questions asked, money back guarantee with our One Year Warranty. If You Don't Like it - FOR WHATEVER REASON - we'll give you your money back. Buy with confidence!
- 【Full HD 1080P Video & Max 14MP Photo】 - This trail camera captures 14MP crystal clear photo and 1080P video with clear sound recording, day (color) and night (black and white), ensure every detail will be captured. Show you super vivid wildlife activities.
- 【120 Degree Wide Angle Lens & Up to 22M Night Vision Distance】 - 120 degree wide angle lens provide you the great shooting scope. 42PCS Low glow Infrared LEDs(which makes it a stealthy unit that does not intrude into the natural habitat), make up to 75ft/22M detection capturing range. No movement will be missed by recording even at night.
- 【Fast 0.3S Trigger Speed & 120 Degree Wide Detecting Range】 - Impressively fast trigger speed 0.3s can catch every wonderful exciting moments, each detected movement will be captured swiftly and precisely, which are extremely crucial for hunting game and animal observation.
- 【IP56 Waterproof & Sturdy】-With IP56 waterproof(dust-proof, drop-proof and rain-proof), this protective case can protect your trail camera from rain and dust damage. It is able to work in tough environments. With the gifted mounting strap, it is easy to install this trail camera sturdy.
- 【Easy Operate】 - No need to set up, it is already set with ideal settings for the majority of wildlife applications, whether used on trails or on nest sites. Just power it with 8* 1.5V AA batteries, insert a micro SD card(up to 32GB max, not included), switch it ON then it is in standby. Switch it to TEST mode and use the remote control to set up when you need, very simple!
- 【High Quality Day and Night Image】With large aperture, full glasses, wide view angle, high resolution lens component, plus deep optimization on image sensor, this trial camera captures full HD 1080P video or max 16MP clear still photos each time motion is detected of wildlife game. Using no glow, invisible infrared flash illumination technology, this trail camera can capture great night vision up to 20M/65ft in total darkness (black and white at night).
- 【Very Easy to Use】With TV remote style keypad, and user-friendly UI designed, 2.4 inch LCD color screen built-in, using standard SD card slot, the trail came is easy to operate and program. With the multi-functions keypad as shortcut and screen prompt, you can directly playback/review/manage the photos or video what you have.
- 【Fast Trigger Speed & Long Trigger Distance】Fast 0.2 second trigger time motion activated and total 120° detection angle (When side motion sensors enabled), and up to 25M/82ft long trigger distance (below 77°F/25°C at the normal/high sensitivity level), you won't miss anything.
- 【IP66 Waterproof & Reliable】With reliable, sturdy mechanics design and multi-levels waterproof design and manufacturing, this trail camera can achieve IP66 waterproof(dust-proof, drop-proof and rain-proof), and perform in kinds of environment like desert or tropical rain forest throughout the seasons for hunting or security surveillance or wildlife observation.
- 【Flexible Settings & Excellent Functions】3 modes available (photo only, video only, photo + video), Up to 32GB SD card (not included in the package), Loop recording, Temperature/date/time/moon phase imprint, Serial number for identifying multiple camera, Time Lapse, Timer for setting working period, Password protected. Extremely long in-field battery life (in standby mode) up to 6 months with 8*AA batteries (not included in package).
- HIGH QUALITY RESOLUTION - Game camera captures 12 MP crystal clear images and 1080P HD video. Brightly colored photos are captured during the daytime and black and white at night.
- LIGHTNING TRIGGER TIME - With impressive 0.5 seconds trigger time, each detected movement will be captured in real time and you are guaranteed to never miss any breathtaking moments. The optimum placement of the trail camera is approximately 1m to 10m from the subject.
- DIMMED LEDs & INFRARED TECHNOLOGY - With fully automatic IR filter and 24 Pcs 940NM Infrared low-glow black LEDs, the wildlife camera won't produce a bright flash that may scare animals away during taking pictures.
- EXTENSIVE APPLICATIONS - IP66 Waterproof housing is dust-proof, drop-proof and rain-proof making the hunting camera ideal for home security, property surveillance, wildlife monitoring and scouting.
- OTHER EXCELLENT FEATURES - There are multi-recording modes, such as: Interval Recording, Time-Lapse, Timer, Password Protection, Time Stamp and Low Battery Alarm. 2.4" LCD screen allows you to view videos or pictures more clearly.
- 【High Quality Day & Night Image Captures】The trail camera captures 14MP photo taking and 1080P FHD video recording ensure every details will be captured. Brightly colored photos are captured during the daytime (black-and-white photos at night).
- 【Outstanding Invisible IR Technology & 20m Triggering Distance】With fully automatic IR filter,this hunting camera capture shots of animals natural behaviors by using infrared flash illumination technology equipped with 44pcs LEDs. Trigger distance up to 20m. You can get great shots of animals in total darkness without the animal realizes its being documented.
- 【Fast 0.5s Trigger Speed & Low Power Consumption】An impressively fast trigger speed (0.5s) makes sure each detected movement is documented in real time.You are guaranteed to never miss any of the action.The trail camera (in standby mode) can extend its use of time to 6 months.
- 【IP66 Waterproof & Sturdy】With IP66 waterproof, sturdy case protects your hunting camera from rain and dust damage.And it also could work in tough environments like desert or tropical rain forest. It contains threaded tripod and mounting strap, it's easy to install this trail camera wherever the wildlife camera is headed.
- 【Various Functions & Reliable Service】This game camera features time stamp including Date/Moon Phase/Temperature, Timer, Realtime Replay, Hybrid Mode, Interval Recording, bringing this camera to multiple applications beyond your expectation.Besides,Campark service team provides professional after sale services,45 days no reason money back and 1 year guarantee.
This Trail Camera 101 Guide will give you an overall understanding of these tools and why they make the best pieces of equipment to use when hunting.
How Do Trail Cameras Work?
These cameras make a great addition to outdoor recreation activities. There are five important elements you need to know to fully understand how trail cameras operate. You can consequently use this knowledge to narrow down your search.
- Detection Circuit – the goal of trail cameras when hunting is to detect activity, particularly those of wild animals. When movement is noticed, this device will activate and capture an image. Most cameras send these images directly to your mobile device.
- Batteries – these devices operate on batteries, therefore, before purchasing, one you need to figure out how long the battery life is. Most offer long lifespans, eliminating the need to visit your camera too often.
- Infrared Emitters – you have a few options when it comes to this element. Trail cameras may emit a red glow infrared flash, a low glow flash, white flash, or no glow.
- Picture Quality – these devices were designed to give hunters quality pictures of animals and wildlife. Be sure you view sample photos from all the cameras you’re considering. While still photos offer great shots, some cameras have video options that allow hunters to catch a glimpse of how wildlife behaves.
- Setup & Viewing Screen – consider the ease with which the camera can be set up and check whether it has an internal viewing screen. Configure your settings using the manual provided as a guide. You will have to play around with it for a little bit before the trail camera setup is complete.
Trail cameras are easy to operate. New models are continuously being added to improve their overall function. Keeping in mind these five elements and what you are looking for will help you save money on things you don’t need. For instance, higher priced models may offer longer battery life or more megapixels. If this is something you don’t necessarily need for your intended use, go with a lower priced model.
Also, cameras with video options may cost more. While this is a cool feature to have, if you’re not going to use it often, consider using the extra money you would have spent to protect your camera. There are several ways to do so that we’ll cover later on.
Advantages of Using Trail Cameras
Trail cameras are so prevalent for their advanced reasons. They are handy, easy to use, and a great piece of equipment to have around during hunting seasons. There are so many benefits to using these devices, the biggest one of them being that they allow hunters to view moments without being at the site physically.
A great benefit to game cameras is they offer hunters prolonged seasons. They include batteries with long lifespans, which gives hunters the opportunity to enjoy hunting in the off seasons. Additionally, trail cameras are a great way to keep an eye on properties, especially those that you can’t be at regularly. With pictures being sent directly to your phone when movement is detected, catching a thief is simple.
Another benefit that hunters receive when using these devices is that they’re able to view wildlife and obtain important information regarding their natural habits. Trail cameras give them access to a live telecast of animal habitats. This means that individuals can observe the game without physically being there, consequently, allowing them to focus on the completion of other tasks.
Lower VS Higher Priced Models
A question many hunters ask themselves is, “How much money do I have to spend on a quality trail camera?” The answer depends on your needs and budget. Because trail cameras provide a large amount of information and insight to hunters, having one is better than not having one at all. Lower and higher priced models differ not only in cost but also in battery life, pixels, range, flash, and trigger.
If you are considering a lower priced model, take into consideration picture quality. Ask to see some photos it has taken. You may find they meet your standards and expectations. If not, continue looking; there are several others to fit your budget and picture quality preference.
Consequently, most higher priced models have batteries with longer lifespans than lower priced models. This is beneficial for several reasons. To begin, it means that hunters don’t have to make as many return trips to check on the memory card or change the battery. Also, they can leave their cameras up for weeks at a time until they decide it’s time to move locations.
Finally, a major difference between lower and higher priced trail cameras is the price. Generally, the pricier ones will offer more in terms of battery lifespan, megapixels, range, flash, and trigger speed. When a camera offers faster detection circuits and covers a larger area, they tend to cost more money.
While you don’t have to spend an arm and a leg to obtain a quality piece of equipment it’s important to keep in mind the differences between lower priced models and higher priced ones. Understanding what you need, the features you’re looking for, and the amount of money you’re willing to spend will give you the most for your money.
How to Set Up a Trail Camera
Congratulations on purchasing your trail camera! Now for the next step. Setting up your device correctly is essential to obtaining the best results possible. When this tool is not properly set up, it can lead to damage by animals or may lead to it being stolen by other hunters. Consequently, you’re cheating yourself out of amazing shots!
Follow these simple steps to ensure the proper set up of your new camera:
- Begin by removing all items from the box and verifying no materials are missing. The box should include a manual with an inventory list.
- Decide where you want to set up the camera. This depends on what you’re looking for or what you wish to capture on film. To capture better photos, try to place your camera facing towards the trail and away from the trampled path.
- After selecting a location, make sure the camera’s batteries are fully charged. The memory card or SD should also be installed. Make sure it’s there because without one, you won’t get any results and will result in a waste of your time.
- Configure all settings to your liking. This includes trigger speed and frequency as well as timer and flash settings.
- You’re now ready to mount your trail camera. You can do this several ways (see below for complete details).
- Test your camera by activating it yourself throughout the day. Use it in the morning as well as during the night.
Compare the time each photo was taken to what’s on the SD card to ensure that everything matches. You will want to play around with the settings a little bit to properly configure and mount a functioning trail camera.
How to Place and Secure A Trail Camera
As mentioned earlier, properly securing and setting up a trail camera is essential to obtaining the best results possible. When mounting your trail camera, you should consider your options. You need to consider the following 3 factors to place and secure your device:
- Proper mounting
- Right location
- Securing it tightly
Properly mounting trail cameras decreases the chances of them being stolen. Sadly, you cannot simply rely on the hunter’s moral code. Instead, you need to take matters into your hands to avoid being a victim of trail camera theft. You can do so by properly mounting and securing your devices.
Some hunters like to wrap bungee cords around the camera and tree. Others build their own mounts using tutorials found online. There is also the option to purchase a camera mount online. Whichever method you decide to use, be sure that the camera is secure and in the desired location to give you the field of vision you want.
Find the Right Location
Additionally, once the camera is placed and secured, you want to protect it from being seen by placing it in a location that is not traveled frequently by humans. Minimal human traffic is an effective way to secure your trail camera. Not to mention, you will obtain the better photos since no one wants pictures of people walking in front of their camera. This will only serve as spam for your device, fill up memory and drain battery life.
Secure Your Camera
Unfortunately, when trail cameras are left hanging on a tree, they are stolen. It’s common that hunters leave their camera on its own within the woods since they are made for this purpose, but since they are not extremely cheap, precautions should be taken when securing it.
Review the mounting instructions included with your camera. Sometimes it’s best to follow the company’s directions since they include special equipment to mount the device. Each provider has a different way of mounting their cameras.
Here are a few other ways you can secure your camera:
- Mount your camera correctly! By doing so you will sleep better at night knowing it won’t get stolen, thereby protecting your investment.
- Place your camera in areas with low human activity but high game traffic.
- Camouflage! Most models should already come in camouflage colors, however, adding some more embellishments like twigs and branches is a good idea. Just be sure not to cover the lens.
- Investing in security boxes will protect your trail camera. The only downfall to this option is the cost. It can cost quite a bit of money, but they are guaranteed to protect your equipment from damage or theft.
We mentioned that an advantage is that some homeowners use them to catch thieves and ensure the security of their home. This technology is advanced enough to detect movement and keep an eye out on things to ensure the safety of your property, hence family. If using a trail camera for your home, follow these same tips as best as you can to decrease visibility.
Following these trail camera tips and advice will allow you to sleep more soundly at night and protect your investment. You’ll decrease the chances of them getting stolen or damaged by wildlife.
- Properly manage your trail camera to ensure the success of future endeavors.
- Download any updates as soon as they are available to prevent photography or memory issues.
- Because you will be visiting your device from time to time, use a scent remover before you go and spray the camera as well. Be sure to avoid the lens and then wipe it down with a clean cloth. Additionally, using neoprene gloves will help eliminate your scent.
- When moving your device to a new location, it’s recommended to change the batters and SD cards.
- We suggest that you keep a log of what your device saw at the time. Jot down what was seen and at what time. This is important especially for hunters with multiple cameras. Relying on your own memory to remember what was seen where can become messy.
Here is a good YouTube video that demonstrates how to use a trail camera:
Writing everything down, including GPS coordinates, will make this process easier. Hunters will be able to see where movement usually happens. Be as specific and methodical as possible when writing down your documentation of the animals you see.
We hope this guide has given you a better understanding of trail cameras and why they are an essential tool for hunters. We wish you the best of luck in finding one that works for you! Happy hunting!
Trail Camera Accessories
Trail Camera Viewers
- 【COMPATIBLE DEVICES】 Four kinds of interfaces are supported; Almost all your devices are supported; IOS, Windows OS, Linux, Mac OS and Android are supported.
- 【COMPATIBLE CARDS】 Supporting TF (micro-SD) and SD memory card. Compatible with ALL trail camera brands including Bushnell, Moultrie, StealthCam, Reconyx, Browning, Wild Game Innovations, etc.
- 【EASY TO MANAGE DATA AND SHARE IN REAL TIME】 Super speed & high capacity allow you to manage all your data and files directly on this card reader and to share the beautiful moments of your journey with your best friends or on social networking sites in real time.
- 【NO DRIVER REQUIRED】 Plug and play, no driver is required on the compatible devices. It is very convenient for using at anytime and anywhere.
- 【AFTER-SALES GUARANTEE】 Our card reader comes with warm customer service and a 12-month hassle free warranty. If you don't like your new card reader for any reason, please contact us in time so that we will try our best to help you.
- Compatible with ALL Devices Designed to be compatible with various interfaces, including Windows, IOS, Android, Linux and Mac OS. Easy to connect with your iPhone, iPad, iPod, Android, and USB devices.
- Supported Different Types of Cards SD memory card and Micro SD card (TF card) are both supported by Campark SD card reader. It works with different brands of trail camera, like Campark, Victure, Apman, Toguard, StealthCam, Moultrie, Bushnell, Distianert, Browning , etc.
- Fast reading speed With the advanced built-in microprocessor, once insert your card, the card viewer will read your files in high speed, which allowing for quickly viewing and sharing your videos and pics.
- Portable and Durable Plug and play, there is no WIFI, internet or driver required. Simply insert the card, you could easily view, delete, or share the videos or pictures catched by your game camera.
- Professional Service from Campark We guarantee 45 days money back and 12-month warranty and professional after-sale service within 24 hours.
Last Updated on